Thursday, September 22, 2011

Skiing

Whoever thought of putting two planks of wood on their feet and getting pulled at high speeds by boats was a genius. Skiing is one of the most fun water activities I have ever participated in, and until this year I never understood why so many people liked it and liked going to the lake. Well my friend Landon got a jet ski at the beginning of the school year and I just thought it was another one of his money making schemes, but he actually bought this jet ski for recreational use. So the weekend before school started back he convinced Stren, and me to accompany him to Lake Sinclair for a Saturday, and we agreed.
We met at Landon's house around 3:30 that afternoon because I had to work earlier. We hooked up the trailer with the jet ski and set off. It is nearly an hour long drive to Lake Sinclair from Landon's house. We were going to Dennis Station since we are teenagers and have no desire to pay for our entry to the lake. We pulled up and the parking lot was desolate, and we were very excited by this. We wanted the lake to be as empty as possible for our skiing adventure. We backed the jet ski down the boat ramp into the water and Landon started it up and pulled closer to the dock for us to board. Stren got the Dick Pope Jr. labeled skis out of the truck. They were wooden skis from Landon's mom. We all zipped up our life vests and got on the jet ski. I hadn't been on a jet ski in around ten years so when Landon floored it and we skipped across the surface of the lake, an unbreakable smile came across my face. I once heard a comedian that said we should use Seadoo's as anti depressants because it is impossible to be sad on a jet ski, and I completely agree with this.
Finally we drove the jet ski into a smaller cove, away from the traffic and rough waves. I also hadn't attempted to ski in nearly ten years too, so it was a learning experience for me.  I jumped in the water and Landon tossed me the skis. I fit them onto my feet snuggly so they wouldn't fall of and I could get better control and then Landon tossed me the ski rope. He told me that they were going to idle the jet ski along until there was some tension on the line and then I would give the signal to go.
As  soon as the line pulled tight I felt very nervous. Landon had explained the theory of skiing to me and it all sounded so easy. I figured I just had to try it and see for myself. I gave the "ok" to go and I heard the jet ski roar to life and I gripped the ski rope for dear life. In an instant I was ripped from the water and  trying to get my balance but instead slapped my face into the water. Landon whipped the jet ski around and came back to try again. The second time I was prepared for what was going to happen, and I felt sure I would get it. Once again I gave the "ok" and I heard the engine whine. I was lifted from the water and I gained my balance quickly, but instead of keeping me going, Landon stopped the jet ski and I sank back to the water. He apologized for this, and we set off for the third round. Third time is definitely the charm. I was lifted from the water, I gained my balance, and Landon didn't ruin my effort. I felt myself gliding smoothly across the surface of the water, and was immensely delighted. I was still shaky on the skis, but I was catching on quickly. My mom had always told me how much she loved to ski when she was younger, and I told her later that I had her gene for skiing because I just couldn't get enough. I wanted to get better and better. My final accomplishment of the first day of successful skiing was to cross the wake made by the jet ski. I failed numerous times, but each time I continued to get closer. Finally as the day came to an end and we headed back to the dock, I drifted to one side of the wake and built up speed to launch myself over the other side of the wake. I had done it. Thus concludes my first day of skiing.

No comments:

Post a Comment