Thursday, September 8, 2011

Intelligence and Work Ethic

I don't believe anyone can put a proper definition on intelligence. It is nearly impossible to define because of all of the different types of intelligence. You can't just say it's someone with straight A's or a 2400 on the SAT, because that is only one form of intelligence. Those people are gifted mentally and that is their form of intelligence. Other people may not have perfect grades or a great SAT score, but they may be able to completely restore an automobile, or build amazing structures. That is their form of intelligence. All of it requires an amount of mental capacity no matter the activity, but the definition of intelligence cannot be stated.
Work ethic can play an enormous role in intelligence. Usually the more interest a person has devoted to a certain area, the more time they are willing to spend critiquing themselves. If Landon loves cars, then he will work harder to become a better mechanic. If I love learning about medicine, and animal science then I am going to push myself to become a great veterinarian one day. Then there are people that have no interest at all in a particular subject, but seem to master it anyway. It just comes naturally to these people. Someone that is not so mentally gifted may have to struggle through to receive the same grade as the smart lazy person. The fact is that the person that has to work for their grades develops more responsibility, and study techniques from this. Their work ethic is what provides them with a level intelligence.
I had a health teacher in the ninth grade that told us throughout the semester that he was not a smart man. He told us that the only reason he got to where he was in life is because of his work ethic. He said he struggled constantly through school , but he persevered and got a football scholarship to Georgia Southern and maintained the grades to keep his scholarship. He admitted that he had to work just as hard on the football field as he did in the classroom. Ever since ninth grade I have remembered as much as I can from this coach, because he really taught us a lot that most of the time didn't even relate to health, but it was just as important.
My entire life I have been surrounded by extremely hard-working people, and in a non-narcissistic way I truly feel that I have become like these people. I got my first part-time job at Piedmont Animal Hospital, with the future goal of becoming a veterinarian. I have worked there since July of 2010 as a Kennel Technician and a Lab Technician. I have made sure that both of the current veterinarians there are aware that I want to become a veterinarian, and I want them to teach me as much as possible before I leave for college. I really crave knowledge about veterinary medicine, and I will work as hard as possible to achieve my goal for the future. My work ethic is what defines me. I don't do anything halfway.
I feel that colleges base too much of their decision on the SAT. This is the test that they feel truly identifies intelligence. How someone performs on the SAT is not necessarily an indicator of how they will do in college. It seems that every scholarship available is based on your SAT score. My SAT score is above average, but that still doesn't change the fact that this standardized test should not be a deciding factor on if a college selects you or not. Colleges thankfully look at your high school GPA, and the rigor of the courses you have taken throughout high school. Hopefully all of these factors will contribute to me being accepted to the University of Georgia or Texas A&M University. These two schools both have astounding veterinary medicine programs, and I would feel honored to one day be a student at one of these schools. However the next school year plays out for me I will be satisfied with what I have accomplished so far in life, and I know that I will only become more intelligent in veterinary medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment